In the 1930’s, electricity was a common luxury as long as your lived in the city. The power companies of the time were willing to provide power to cities, but taking their power and providing it to rural America with little or no profit for the companies was unrealistic; rural America was left in the dark.
Many of the conveniences available to American cities at the time were unknown to rural America. Wood and coal stoves heated homes, water and food. Lighting for the family was provided by kerosene lamps and candles. Everything from milking the cattle, pumping water and washing clothing were all chores done by hand.
In the city, laborsaving devices were greatly improving the quality of life. Because there was no electric service for those living in rural areas, electricity was becoming the great divide between the city and the country.
Farmers wanted electricity, however privately owned power companies said serving rural areas would be too costly due to the houses being so far apart. They also believed that farmers wouldn’t use much electricity. With no profits to be made, farmers remained without electricity until the late 1930’s.
Under President Franklin D. Roosevelt, the Rural Electrification Administration (REA) was formed. The 1935 administration was formed to administer a program to encourage rural electrification by lending low-interest money to any group or company that would undertake the task. Even with the offer of low-interest financing, almost all of the private electric companies chose not to get involved.
Due to the low interest of private electric companies, farmer took it upon themselves to get their own electricity and decided to form cooperatives to do the job themselves.
On April 13, 1936, a group or Rural Electrification Association Committeemen from Wyandot, Wood, Seneca and Hancock counties met in Upper Sandusky, OH. Upon a motion made by Mr. Lewis Baldosser and a second by Mr. Paul O. Crum, the group voted to incorporate. Mr. L.B. Keller moved and Mr. Glenn Diller seconded that the name of the association be the North Central Farm Bureau Electric Cooperative. The motion passed unanimously.
Construction began in August 1937 and the first few miles of line were energized on March 1938. These few miles of like were able to provide electric service to a handful of consumer-owners.
Since then, the cooperative has grown and its membership has become quite diverse. The cooperative serves about 9,800 consumers in Crawford, Hancock, Huron, Richland, Sandusky, Seneca, Wood and Wyandot counties. The cooperative maintains about 1,800 miles of underground and overhead lines as well as 11 substations and one metering station.
In January 1998, North Central formed a cooperative shared services and management federation with Lorain-Medina Rural Electric Cooperative of Wellington, Ohio. Under the federation, the cooperatives share corporate management staffs, accounting, billing, engineering, purchase and marketing departments. Both cooperatives maintain separate offices and separate line crews.
2011 marks North Central's 75th year of service to rural America.
To provide our member-owners with highly reliable electric service, superior customer service and innovative energy solutions at competitive prices.
That the members of North Central Electric Cooperative benefit from highly reliable electric service, superior customer service and innovative energy solutions – all provided at fair and competitive prices by the efficient cooperative they own, control and trust.
We, the Board of Trustees, management and staff of North Central Electric Cooperative pledge to demonstrate the following values, beliefs, principles and standards of professional behavior as we pursue our mission and fulfill the duties of our positions. Impeccable Integrity and Accountability
Dedication of Cooperative Principles
Commitment to our Members
Support of our Employees and their development
Contribution to our Communities
Devotion to a culture of Safety
Obligation to Environment Stewardship